This is used to document observable human activities and personal characteristics, interactions, time spent at fixed locations or in transit, and details of environmental context.
- A sketch map or architectural floor plan is used as the underlay for recording observations.
- Place-centered mapping is based on observations of all people and their interactions at a specific location.
- Individual-centered mapping follows the travel and activities of specific individuals over time and location, documenting their social behaviors and interactions.
- While typically completed in real time, the mapping can involve time-lapse photography or video.
- Interviews or debriefing conversations with participants help to understand more about mapped behaviors.
- In retrospective mapping, individuals chart their own paths and behaviors on a floor plan or map, revealing their motivations for actions.